DEPARTMENT: LATIN AMERICA AND CARIBBEAN (LAC) START DATE: SEPTEMBER 2014 (subject to approval of funding)
PSI is a leading global health organization with programs targeting malaria, child survival, HIV and reproductive health. Working in partnership within the public and private sectors, and harnessing the power of the markets, PSI provides life-saving products, clinical services and behavior change communications that empower the world's most vulnerable populations to lead healthier lives.
PSI's core values are a belief in markets and market mechanisms to contribute to sustained improvements in the lives of the poor; results and a strong focus on measurement; speed and efficiency with a predisposition to action and an aversion to bureaucracy; decentralization and empowering our staff at the local level; and a long term commitment to the people we serve. PSI has programs in over 60 countries. For more information, please visit www.psi.org.
The Pan American Social Marketing Organization (PASMO) is a non-profit social marketing organization, operating in Central America (from Belize to Panama). PASMO is a network member of Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization.
Be Part of Something Powerful and Different
PSI aims to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy and plan their families by marketing affordable health products and services (think contraceptives, condoms, HIV testing and more). We are a $560m enterprise based in Washington, DC, operating in the private and public sectors in more than 60 countries. We are also a leader in social franchising, an approach we use to improve the way health care is delivered through private sector channels in the developing world, that aims to guarantee access to quality health care at affordable prices.
A bit about LAC and social franchising
PSI currently implements programs in LAC in several different health areas (HIV/AIDS prevention, reproductive health, maternal-child health, nutrition, and diabetes, with a particular focus on gender and gender based violence).
PSI is looking for a values-driven leader… someone who believes commercial business approaches can generate lasting social good. The Social Franchise Technical Advisor will lead our regional strategy and operations for social franchising in LAC. We are looking for someone who understands franchising and is able to manage change. Over the past five years, PSI has launched several social franchises across the Latin America region. PASMO currently operates its social franchise, Red Segura, in Guatemala, El Salvador and Nicaragua. The franchise has recently expanded to the Dominican Republic, and will soon expand into Honduras, and possibly other countries in the region. Additionally, the Technical Advisor will provide support to Haiti’s nascent social franchise, Plis Kontwol. The successful candidate will lead on executing a regional strategy for Red Segura within Central America, aiming to improve the sustainability of the business model.
This job requires significant focus on the development, and subsequent implementation, of a truly regional strategy. The position will be hired by PSI, and will be based in the PASMO Regional Office (RO) in Guatemala City, Guatemala, with an estimated 40% travel. This position will report directly to the PSI Regional Director. If required and with good reason, this position can possibly be located in another country in the region.
Responsibilities under this position include, but are not limited to:
· Lead the development of a cohesive Red Segura regional strategy, key stakeholder positioning, and brand messaging/execution
· Develop and implement a sustainability plan for the franchises including products, integration of services, insurance and other third party pay mechanisms
· Develop/review, implement and monitor social franchise strategies and operations (e.g. sustainability, marketing, quality standards), across the established networks in the region
· Develop regional selection criteria and recruitment policies for franchisees that can be adapted and adopted within each Red Segura country, as well as other social franchises within LAC
· Develop Standards and Procedures for Franchise standards
· Coordinate with the Marketing team to develop the franchisee brand
· Ensure adherence to PSI’s Global clinical quality and business standards and procedures
· Work with PSI-HQ on tracking and reporting
· Provide in country technical assistance to franchises
· Liaise with PSI/W and the LAC RD and DRD on all matters related to SF
· BA/BS degree or local equivalent
· At least 5 years of experience working in/with franchises, preferably commercial and international
· Preference for at least 3 years of proven experience in the field of social marketing and/or health
· Must have an understanding of business planning/management
- Exceptional managerial and operational experience, preferably in managing complex, multi-national/regional activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions
- Excellent interpersonal and cross–cultural skills
· Team player, commitment to meet deadlines, client oriented
The successful candidate should be able to thrive in a complex management setting, be a creative, innovative and strategic thinker, team player and will have demonstrated experience and successful track record. S/he will have a proven ability to produce results in programs dependent on National-level performance within a regional program context. Above all else, a successful candidate will be a results-driven implementer.
§ Level 6
APPLY ONLINE at http://www.psi.org.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals
regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.